Jul 8, 2014

A family affair: Asher's Baby Shower

     I think playing catch-up might be one of my favorite games. No matter how good my intentions, I can never seem to update my blog as regularly as I like so instead I get to things when I get to them. This means that I post a lot of events out of order or months after they happen. But I think for once, I'm going to cut myself a break, there are more important things to get your knickers all twisted about then posting events exactly when they happen (i.e. enjoying the event). I'm just glad I get around to documenting them at all because that's what counts in my book! And I'm sure it will only get harder once this little one takes his first breath!
Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, I will proceed! :)
     April and May were my months to travel. I made several trips back home for big life events. The first trip happened towards the end of April when I went back to see my youngest sister, Dominique, participate in her senior play. Then, the first week of May my sister Francesca graduated from college and officially became a nurse (except for the test part) during her pinning ceremony. And Dominique had her senior prom as well. I then came home for a busy week and a half in which we found out the sex of our baby and had a GENDER REVEAL party with close friends! I then went back for a final time for Dominique's graduation party and graduation from high school!
     It was during my last trip home that my family threw a small baby shower for me, inviting family and close friends. This made the event so intimate and special, something I wish so badly Grayson could have been a part of, but something that truly touched my heart and refreshed my soul. Weird, maybe, but not odd. You see, my parents and Grayson's parents have this way of integrating Christ into every aspect of their lives and they did so beautifully at this shower. I mean, when I stop to think about this miracle growing inside me I can't help but be in awe of our amazing Creator. And that's what they did, they made me stop and think and worship my God who is so carefully knitting together this little baby in my womb.
     We read from Psalms 139, the familiar passage that goes like this,

God, investigate my life;
    get all the facts firsthand.
I’m an open book to you;
    even from a distance, you know what I’m thinking.
You know when I leave and when I get back;
    I’m never out of your sight.
You know everything I’m going to say
    before I start the first sentence.
I look behind me and you’re there,
    then up ahead and you’re there, too—
    your reassuring presence, coming and going.
This is too much, too wonderful—
    I can’t take it all in!

Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
    to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you’re there!
    If I go underground, you’re there!
If I flew on morning’s wings
    to the far western horizon,
You’d find me in a minute—
    you’re already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, “Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
    At night I’m immersed in the light!”
It’s a fact: darkness isn’t dark to you;
    night and day, darkness and light, they’re all the same to you.


Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!

    I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
    before I’d even lived one day. (The Message, Psalms 139:1-16)

Such an arresting reminder that God takes time to sculpt and create every single one of us. He knows us intimately before we are even thought of and even born. Its hard for me to even fathom that kind of love, but its comforting to realize that nothing is unknown to God, He see's it all. My faults my sin and yet he still chose to send his only son to die on my behalf so that I might have a right relationship with him.
     It wasn't an elaborate affair, but that didn't matter. We ate tasty sandwiches, veggies and chips that were left over from Dominique's graduation party and we lounged around outside under the big trees enjoying one anothers company and celebrating life. It was an undeniably beautiful day.
  
  
  
  
P.S. that is Grayson in the picture! He is wearing the outfit and Nike shoes that Melody so perfectly gifted to us! I cannot wait to put Asher in those overalls and shoes!
 My mom got us an awesome pack n' play. I know it will get so much use! It was one of the highlights of the shower to watch her and Mickey put it together. It was definitely a Lucy and Ethel type moment!
Both sets of grandparents were able to be there, so special!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment