Jul 7, 2014

As I sat here.

     As I sat here and edited these images I was overcome with thankfulness. In a time of uncertainty when Grayson and I are looking for and praying for direction and clarity it is so easy to forget what we have and enjoy. So instead we complain about what we don't have and in turn cultivate spirits of discontent. I don't want that, I want to forever be in awe of what God provides, because even if the bills are piling high and the job isn't quite what we thought, he still provides and he will continue to do so. I can take whatever comes because he is my strength. And that is a truth I will choose to believe and the truth I will hitch my heart to. Because in seasons of plenty and in seasons of drought there is always something to be thankful for especially when God is bigger than your wildest dreams!!
     So as I look at these pictures I am thankful that my husband and I live in a free country. A country where we can enjoy walking safety around town. A place where be have the freedom to work and make money. A free nation that allows us to spend the money we make how we choose. I am thankful for a husband who takes walks with me even though he could think of a trillion other ways to spend his time. I am thankful for food and the tastebuds God has given me to enjoy it. I am thankful for water and the refreshment it provides, for sun and the way it lifts my spirits. For a dog who, though he annoys me, is a companion I cannot imagine living without.
     Grayson and I have been reading through Philippians as a part of our devotions together. There is so much to digest and be reminded of, but chapter 4 in particular has stood out to me.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let you gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heart and your minds in Christ Jesus. . . I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:4-7; 4:11-13 The Message)
     As I grow and become farther removed from college and the protection and shelter of my parents roof, I am awakened to just how unpredictable life is. Nothing is certain, nothing is secure. And as I realize this truth, I can't help but feel sadness for those who do not trust in God. Because going through life and the trials it brings would be hopeless without the meaning and security God offers. I can't do any of this through my own strength, but I can do it through him who gives me strength, and that gives my heart peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment