May 27, 2015

Couser Family Retreat 2015

     I had been looking forward to this weekend for a couple of months. It was highly anticipated and planned for and I was determined that nothing could ruin it. I have to say, most of the time, my expectations are so unrealistic that it inevitably leads to disappointment of the worst kind; but for whatever reason this weekend met my expectations and greatly exceeded them. This left me both extremely happy and wishing it could have lasted just a few days longer. . . Maybe next year!
     It all started when Gray and I began pushing for a scheduled family vacation. We wanted something we could plan on, a time that would happen annually apart from the major holidays. Currently I am the only Couser girl not living thirty or so minutes from home and as a result I can feel somewhat forgotten. A lot of life happens and that's especially apparent when you aren't a part of it. Thankfully my parents jumped on the idea and found a resort cabin of sorts in Cumberland, Kentucky. A good halfway point. So on this past Friday, after work, Gray and I loaded up the VW Passat with all our bags and Tobias and headed North. Not a direction most Southerners go (which totally worked to our advantage on the return journey!).
     We spent Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning with my parents, my three sisters and one of my sisters boyfriend. We explored the local scenery, took a hike where we saw Cumberland Falls and Eagle Falls and partook in the local beach scene at Lake Lure. The rest of the time we ate some amazing grub, celebrated birthdays, played lots of games, laughed till our bellies hurt, did morning devotionals, roasted marshmallows, and talked about life. It was so refreshing and truly fed my soul. There is nothing like family. I will forever cherish the memories we made this weekend!
Dan and Victoria were in charge of the pancakes on Saturday morning.
Tobias enjoyed several unconventional toys when he wasn't being snuggled by Mimi or Aunt Francesca.
 Breakfast together followed by our devotional in Colossians might have been my favorite thing!
This kid got a lot of love.
He was supposed to be reading about baby animals, not looking at me :D.
We celebrated five birthdays all told. Dad, Dan and Dominique were the first night and me and Francesca were the second night. 
My cakes were scrumptious. Strawberry with cream cheese frosting. Soooo good!
I love this girl. So wished she lived closer. . . not the most flattering pic, no makeup and all, but the weekend was all about relaxation and comfort we only got dressed up for the family pics!
And now for the family pictures. We used a makeshift tripod using two stools. Got to hand it to my dad, that was pretty inventive and worked perfectly. I need to add tripod to the list of things I bring next year ;).
Not naming any names, Grayson (cough, cough), but someone was a little too excited about the silly picture!
This one is hands down my favorite!!
The original girls! Dominique-18, Victoria-21, Me-24, Francesca-22
 Ty looks pretty unsure here. . .
 But he ended up accepting it, hehe.
Love both my big family and my little family. Is it next year yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment